Sunday, November 29, 2009

Long overdue partaking of a Christmas tradition

It took 21 years, but this year I got my first Christmas tree. When I saw a 7 feet Christmas tree on sale at Canadian Tire, my mind was set on buying the damn thing. I realize this is one thing bad about co-op because I'm finding that I'm a lot more trigger happy on purchases now that Ihave a little bit of money :@. I thought I would have to lower the back seats to fit the package in my car but I didn't. Anyways, here is the largely unimpressive packaging of my first Christmas tree.


The first look inside the box was equally unimpressive.

It was rather depressing to look at once out of the box, too. I was excited, but not exactly enthralled.

So, three segments, a base, and an instruction manual. This shouldn't be too hard, I threw the instruction manual to the side and started construction on the base. The entire unpackaging and construction process took less than two minutes but once I had a look at the skinny skeleton of a tree I realized the cumbersome task ahead of isolating every tip.

Before

After

Who would've guessed?!

I must say though, it does look a lot more impressive but I realized the much more cumbersome task ahead of decorating the damn thing. I bought some frosted pine cones, some bells, and a an ornament bundle because its a lot less thinking than picking out your own ornaments. I do prefer an angel though, its got more majesty to it than a star. That, and most of the stars are literally flat so you can't see it from the side.

So by the time I put up all the ornaments I realized that the white wasn't exactly great against my white walls so I took down everything and exchanged it for a red and green package. One and a half hours wasted. :(

So I started at 2:30 and I finally had the tree up and lit by 7:00 because of the entire ordeal with the white ornaments. I also bought some yellow ornaments while I was there so I guess it wasn't a complete waste of time. Anyway, here it is.

Much more impressive

I pushed it into the corner beside my TV where it'll stay until Boxing Day. I can't wait to have to go through the painstaking process of undecorating and putting away the damn thing. Oh, goodie! Hopefully it'll be quicker, since I'll just toss all the ornaments into some rubbermaid containers. Oooh, it's shaping up to be an annual chore!

2 comments:

  1. why dont you just keep it up all year long, so it'll be christmas everyday. You'll save time and labour

    ReplyDelete